PCSA's Resident Global Surgery Scholarship
About PCSA: The Pacific Coast Surgical Association (PCSA) is a non-profit organization, established in 1925 to advance the science and practice of surgery. The Association’s nearly 600 members are community and academic surgeons who reside in the Pacific Coast area. Members come from one of four Caucuses: Southern California, Northern California, Oregon/Hawaii, and Washington/British Columbia/Alaska.
Purpose: The mission of the PCSA Resident Global Surgery Scholarship are to provide financial assistance to physicians enrolled in surgical residency training programs to participate in a global surgery clinical rotation. These Scholarships will assist with travel and lodging costs.
Financial Assistance: Scholarship will be awarded annually provided funds are available. The quantity and amount of the award will be determined by PCSA's Scholarship Committee. Preference will be given to residents in PCSA Regional Areas.
Scholarship Award Committee: The PCSA Resident Global Scholarship Award Committee shall be chaired by the PCSA Secretary-Treasurer. Committee Members include the current PCSA President, President-Elect, and Immediate Past President.
Scholarship Awards: Awards will be made after a comprehensive review process including, but not limited to, academic accomplishment, community service, references, and a personal statement.
- Applicants must have an MD, DO, or equivalent degree, and be enrolled in an approved general surgery residency or surgery fellowship training program.
- Applicants must have completed at least 2 years of clinical surgical training at the time their international surgery rotation begins.
- Applicants must have approval of the international rotation by their residency program director and the rotation is either at an ACGME/RRC approved international site or a rotation with onsite supervision by a U.S. American Board of Surgery Board Certified surgeon.
- Preference will be given to residents in PCSA Regional Areas.
Application Documents Required for Submission:
- Online Application
- Letter from Program Director to include statement of enrollment and years of completion of training
- Acceptance in a clinical global training rotation
- A letter providing a budget for travel and lodging for the proposed rotation
- A personal statement
Complete the PCSA Resident Global Scholarship Application today.
- Applications must be received by January 31.
- The Scholarship Committee will meet during PCSA’s Annual Meeting in February.
- The Scholarship Award will be announced at the conclusion of the Annual Meeting and the candidates notified of the decision.
- A summary report from the Award Recipient to the Scholarship Committee will be required at the following year's Annual meeting of the PCSA after the recipient has completed his or her clinical global rotation.
- The Scholarship Award monies will be sent one month prior to the Global Surgical Rotation.
Make a contribution to the PCSA's Resident Global Surgery Scholarship Fund
Read Jahanara Graf MD's report as the first PCSA Resident Scholarship Recipient